Happy Mandatory Store Bought Candy, Card and Flowers Day! In celebration of the upcoming holiday that I simply can't bring myself to loathe because it involves pink hearts and sparkles (and chocolate), here are some spectacular homemade Valentine's-themed fruit jellies I whipped up. I made mine in peach, strawberry, orange and raspberry flavors, but you can try any flavor you like!
HOMEMADE VALENTINE'S GUMMY CANDY RECIPE (a.k.a. FRUIT JELLIES)
- 2/3 cup strained fruit juice concentrate
- 3 Tb. unflavored gelatin (I used 3 packets of Knox)
- 4 Tb. water
- 4 Tb. corn syrup
- 6 Tb. granulated sugar
- Colored sanding sugars or nonpareil sprinkles
1. Lightly spray silicone or plastic candy molds with non-stick cooking spray. (Fun shaped ice cube molds also work well, as long as they're not too large and deep...your gummies would never set!)
2. Pour the unflavored gelatin and water in a bowl and let it sit at room temperature for 3-5 minutes.
3. While the gelatin is softening, place the juice, sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves.
4. Stir in gelatin and continue stirring until gelatin dissolves completely and the mixture begins to boil. Let boil one minute, stirring constantly.
5. Spoon into silicone or plastic candy molds and refrigerate or leave on counter until completely set. You'll know it's ready when you press the gummy and it's no longer sticky (it should softly spring back from your touch.
6. When set, turn out of molds and roll in sanding sugar or nonpareil sprinkles.